Can WM_EVENT_COUNTERS be enabled default?
Jason Thorpe
2021-01-27 03:14:09 UTC
Someone may worry about any other effects, I will add new kernel option
WM_DISABLE_EVENT_COUNTERS, please use it.
No strong objection from me, but can we enable it by default only on systems with 64-bit atomics?

-- thorpej

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Jason Thorpe
2021-01-27 05:04:09 UTC
Ah, the stats are just incremented (not atomic ops) because they are
incremented by one CPU or protected by locks. I will enable it as you
say.
My thinking is:

1. Probably not much interest on non-LP64 systems.
-and-
2. On non-LP64 systems, the upper/lower half can become inconsistent (pretty unlikely, but still.... :-)

Thanks!

-- thorpej