rtadvd(8) for rump
Robert Swindells
2020-08-28 00:31:57 UTC
I plan to check in the attached patch to rtadvd(8) to make it work
better under rump.

It removes the privsep code when built as rump.rtadvd.

I can't think of a way of setting up a path to a rump server socket that
remains the same across a call to chroot(2).

Any comments ?
Taylor R Campbell
2020-08-28 00:42:30 UTC
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 01:31:57 +0100
I plan to check in the attached patch to rtadvd(8) to make it work
better under rump.
It removes the privsep code when built as rump.rtadvd.
I can't think of a way of setting up a path to a rump server socket that
remains the same across a call to chroot(2).
Why does the path matter at that point? Shouldn't the socket already
be connected by rumpclient_init by then? What is the problem you're
trying to solve by this?

--
Posted automagically by a mail2news gateway at muc.de e.V.
Please direct questions, flames, donations, etc. to news-***@muc.de
Robert Swindells
2020-08-28 10:12:56 UTC
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 01:31:57 +0100
I plan to check in the attached patch to rtadvd(8) to make it work
better under rump.
It removes the privsep code when built as rump.rtadvd.
I can't think of a way of setting up a path to a rump server socket that
remains the same across a call to chroot(2).
Why does the path matter at that point? Shouldn't the socket already
be connected by rumpclient_init by then? What is the problem you're
trying to solve by this?
The problem I'm trying to solve is that rump.rtadvd doesn't do anything.

With the proposed changes it works fine.

I admit I'm guessing a bit about why it currently fails to work.

Taylor R Campbell
2020-08-28 14:09:25 UTC
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 11:12:56 +0100
The problem I'm trying to solve is that rump.rtadvd doesn't do anything.
With the proposed changes it works fine.
I admit I'm guessing a bit about why it currently fails to work.
Have you tried adding debug prints to find out what it does?

Robert Swindells
2020-08-28 14:35:00 UTC
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 11:12:56 +0100
The problem I'm trying to solve is that rump.rtadvd doesn't do anything.
With the proposed changes it works fine.
I admit I'm guessing a bit about why it currently fails to work.
Have you tried adding debug prints to find out what it does?
I added some, I thought it would be faster to ask for a review by people
who understand rump better than me. It doesn't return from the call to
poll(2).

I fixed another bug in rtadvd(8) last night, anyone trying to run
rump.rtadvd would have hit that first.

<https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2020/08/28/msg121077.html>